THE 12TH HOUSE AND OUR BLIND SPOTS
Astrologers tend to superficially lump 12th house challenges into losses and expenditures and foreign places but it is much richer. The 12th house is deeply valued in the Vedic tradition because it brings in the deep subconscious realm and the rich spiritual realm of the void that leads to enlightenment if we can grasp its ineffable mysteries. Great things can happen if we are willing to unlock its mysteries.
The 12th house represents this deep subconscious void of very deep karmic patterns that are so ineffable that they can bring up deep emotional and psychological crisis-es and ineffable fears when experienced. It represents a realm of all of the deep dangers of the mind that are invisible, whether caused by karma, hidden enemies, or the perverted logic of your own subconscious.
According to Ptolemy, an ancient astrologer, the 12th corresponded to that part of the sky, just above the horizon, where stars were obscured by the “thick, misty exhalations from the moistures of earth.” The Egyptians thought that stars here were lost in, and debilitated by, the sun’s light at sunrise. Hence it is a vast hidden realm that is frightening and it represents our blind spots to our weaknesses . That means planets and placed here, their significations and the houses that they are connected may represent deep flaws in our personality that we just may not be able to see.
Here are some of the blind spots caused by planets in the 12th house particularly if they are lacking dignity in weak or debilitated signs or connected to malefics. :
- Sun in the 12th: The ego may be blinded by power but may not see it all and it becomes a compensation for low self-esteem and lack of confidence. When there is some dignity the Sun may be able to work together with people and have enough humility to be of true service and sacrifice.
- Moon in the 12th: Here, martyrdom and self-sacrifice become a compensation for feeling alone. This is often a place where martyr moms manifest and where maternal sacrifice can save the 12th house but when very afflicted deep and dark emotional grunge continues to plague us and may move us into unhealthy addictive patterns. Ultimately the kids leave the nest and we are left with incredible loss and despair.
- Mars in the 12th: Sometimes like in Venus rule signs like Libra and Taurus, this can lead to being too quick with intimacy. In signs like Capricorn and Aquarius and Virgo people may not see their unconscious aggressive nature. This may lead to unexpected violent explosions and angry tirades because we are not in touch with our need for freedom and fear of being controlled.
- Mercury in the 12th House: These individuals get imprisoned in their own minds and are often stuck in their heads with endless mental machinations. The blind spot is that people may not realize how much they rely on their mind. Often Mercury in the 12th house may be blind in relationships and be gullible and may be too sexually immature and may not be aware of it. This is particularly difficult in Pisces.
- Jupiter in the 12th House: Jupiter expands things and expenditures are something that we do not want to expand too much. These individuals may be overindulgent but not seeing their spend-thrift ways. Sometimes religious fundamentalism takes over their lives but they do not see it and they may be unconscious to their friends and colleagues as to how much of a religious fanatic they are.
- Venus in the 12th house: It is thought that Venus is the only planet that does well in the 12th house and this may be true if there is some dignity. Still there is a tendency to be over-indulgent in finances and sexual activity but does not see it. This can lead difficult sexual entanglements and a lack of being morally unconstrained by pleasure and unaware of the consequences. Huge debt can accumulate because Venus just likes to buy more and does not know when to stop.\
- Saturn in the 12th House: The planet of service gets over-activated in the house of service. While charity is always a good thing for creating positive future lives, over-work can lead to being blinded by seva-alcoholic martyrdom. Sometimes this can manifest also to spending too much and being blind to the material world and the world of financial reality.
- Rahu in the 12th House: Rahu is always a bit of an unethical gangster so Rahu in the 12th will blind one to unscrupulous or unethical behavior. There can be a tendency to be caught up in the illusion of fantasy about ambition and disconnected from the reality of what is possible. Rahu is so often connected to deep psychological grunge and can be too strong in the 12th house leading to addictive patterns when we cannot get a handle on our deep unconscious fears and paranoia.
- Ketu in the 12th House: In many ways Ketu belongs in the 12th house of mystical experience, moksha and sacrifice but when afflicted it may create a false holiness and a dark secret side. Sometimes these people are a bit of a parasite living off of other’s good will but unconscious of the burden they create to others. They may be unable to connect to the material world and practical reality and think there is nothing besides meditation and getting out of touch with their physical body may lead to difficult to diagnose illnesses.
If we can solve the mysteries of the 12th house and our deepest karma than deep healing can occur, unlocked talents can be released and if you have a spiritual Guru, then enlightenment may dawn. But for most of our lifetimes, the 12th house will bring deep suffering and this unconscious dread beneath the surface and we tend to deal with by checking out. If we are on a spiritual path, we may turn to meditation, spiritual retreats and this is the deepest way to transform but for the mass population, the tendency is to flee to addictive behavior.
The secret of the 12th house is service and sacrifice and to give to others in need when your own deep psychological and unconscious fears come up. When we get out of our small ego and give to others, then we become Bigger and the small self can move to the large Self. For those with no time, this can be accomplished by giving to charity and people in need and this is one way to get through the difficult karma of the 12th house.
WANT TO EXPERIENCE 26 HOURS OF MATERIAL LOOKING AT YOUR BLIND SPOTS?
Take our new course starting on Sunday, June 24th on Go to Webinar with missed classes available for replay.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR HIDDEN FLAWS AND UNCONSCIOUS PATTERNS:
DIAGNOSING AND REMEDIES FOR HIDDEN PATTERNS IN PERSONALITIES
MOVING BEYOND MENTAL BLOCKS AND SUFFERING
June 24 to Sept 16th (13 classes over 15 weeks)
(Sundays, 2 HOURS EACH)
2:30-4:30 PM CENTRAL TIME
FREE OVERVIEW INTRODUCTION: The Quest for Uncovering our Blind Spots and Unconscious Patterns.
Missed classes available for download on Dropbox or for replay
MORE INFORMATION AT :
Need more on the 12th House? Watch our free You Tube Video at: