UNDERSTANDING PLANETARY COMBUSTION:
PLANETS TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN
With Venus too close to the Sun now until Feb. 19th, clients are asking about what it means so I have written this article.
At various times of the year, planets in the sky may fall behind the Sun and may not be visible due to the blinding energies of the Sun. This is called combustion or not visible in the sky. This is one of the more difficult events in Vedic astrology particularly when this happens within 2-3 degrees as the significations of the planet are destroyed and the darker energies of the combust planet may arise. If you are born with planetary combustion then when it happens in transit, it is particularly activated. Still if the combust planet is the ruler of your chart, you will always feel a strong impact from the combustion in transit particularly when it is within 2 – 3 degrees. As always there are so many combinations and exceptions.
|Conditions of Planetary Combustion|
|Moon||Under 12 degrees from the Sun|
|Mars||Under 17 degrees from the Sun|
|Mercury||Under 14 degrees from the Sun and 12 degrees if in Retrograde motion|
|Jupiter||Under 11 degrees from the Sun|
|Venus||Under 10 degrees from the Sun and 8 degrees if in Retrograde motion|
|Saturn||Under 15 degrees from the Sun|
|Cazimi Conditions||Planets within 40 minutes of the Sun|
In natal charts under 10 degrees is usually a problem but any planet within 1 – 4 degrees is particularly damaged. Then there is the odd case of Cazimi from Medieval astrology where a planet within 40 minutes of the Sun goes into the heart of the Sun and is very energized by it in a positive way. We have a case for that in transit on Jan. 8th with Sun conjunct Venus which can be rather powerful and we have written about it.
However there are a few parameters for natal charts which are known as saving factors for the planet. Sometimes a planet can perform very well in the horoscope if there are other ameliorating factors. These include:
- If combust, a planet is occupying its own or exaltation sign in the horoscope.
- If combust planet is getting a strong benefic aspect from Jupiter,Mercury or Venus.
- If combust planet is sitting in the house where it gets directional strength like Mercury and Jupiter in the 1st house, Moon and Venus in the 4th house, Saturn in the 7th house and Mars and Sun in the 10th
- If combust planet is exalted and well placed in divisional charts (Specially in D-9 & D-60).
- If combust planet is retrograde in horoscope. This will require a whole article but usually only applies to retrograde Mercury and Venus.
- Note: When Rahu or Ketu are in conjunction with the Sun by close degree such as a similar case of ‘combustion,’ they create a eclipse and block the Suns energy.
VEDIC ALMANAC 2018
We will be moving out of publishing longer-term articles on-line as social media dictates shorter snippets. Our longer-articles are meant for books and hence our Vedic Astrological Almanac and Transit Guide 2018 is perfect vehicle. Part 1 was mailed on Friday and the full document will be mailed by Tuesday is now over 320 pages chocked full of fascinating articles about the transits, the economy, global and country predictions and all the major transits and aspect this year.
Get your copy now.
What does the New Year Hold for You?
VEDIC ASTROLOGICAL ALMANAC
AND TRANSIT GUIDE
- General political and economic overviews of the year and guide to major events and key challenging points for the year.
- General articles teaching what retrogrades, combustion, planetary aspects, dashas and eclipses mean.
- Guide to Saturn in Sagittarius including individual guides for your rising and moon signs.
- Guide to Jupiter in Libra including individual guides for your rising and moon sign. Jupiter in Scorpio.
- Guide to Rahu and Ketu in Cancer and Capricorn including individual guides for your rising and moon sign.
- Major General Guide for Interpreting Planetary Dashas when the planet is strong or afflicted
- Information on 2018 Eclipses and impacts
- Articles and Interpretation of Major Transits of Mars, Venus, Sun, Mercury and Jupiter through all the major signs and connecting them to your rising sign.
- Listings of Full Moons, New Moons and Major Planetary Conjunctions and Oppositions
- Lists of Planetary Nakshatra Transit Dates
- List of Planetary Retrograde Dates and Explanation
- Periods of Planetary Combustion and Explanation
- Articles about Planetary Aspects and Major aspects of the Year.
- Dates for Kala Sarpa Yoga in Transits
- Major theoretical and astrological articles
- Guide to Sade Sat: The Hidden Insights into What it Means and How to Calculate
- Articles about Major Vedic Holidays
- Six major articles on Saturn
- Discussion of Neptune and Uranus and impact on Mundane Astrology