Astrologers tend to superficially lump the 12th house challenges into losses, expenditures, and foreign places but it is much richer. The 12th house is deeply valued in the Vedic tradition because it brings in a deep, subconscious realm and introduces the rich, spiritual territory of void that leads to enlightenment if we can grasp its ineffable mysteries. Great things can happen if we are willing to unlock its mysteries.
The 12th house represents intense, subconscious, karmic patterns, which invoke emotional, psychological crises and even haunting fears when experienced. The area represents a realm of convoluted dangers of the monkey mind, which is continually jumping from tree to tree unable to rest and find peace, and represents an invisible force that keeps us restless and agitated. This may manifest as deep past-life karma, covert enemies that are in our mind or the perverted logic of our own subliminal, restless, churning mind.
According to Ptolemy, an ancient astrologer, the 12th house corresponded to that part of the sky just above the horizon where stars were obscured by the “thick misty exhalations from the moistures of earth.” Hence it is a vast hidden realm that is frightening and it represents the blind spots of our weaknesses. This suggests that planets placed here, their significations, and the houses that they are connected to may represent deep flaws in our personality that we just may not be able to see.
Here are some of the blind spots caused by planets in the 12th house particularly if they are lacking dignity, are weak, tenant debilitated signs, or are connected to the malefics:
- Sun in the 12th: The ego may be blinded by power but may not see it at all and this becomes compensation for low self-esteem and lack of self-confidence. When there is some dignity the Sun may be able to work together with people and have enough humility to be of true service and sacrifice.
- Moon in the 12th: Here martyrdom and self-sacrifice become compensation for feeling alone. This is often a place where martyr-moms manifest and maternal sacrifice can save the 12th house but when very afflicted, deep, and dark emotional grunge continues to plague us and may move us into unhealthy, addictive patterns. Ultimately kids leave the nest and we are left with incredible loss and despair.
- Mars in the 12th: In Venus ruled signs like Libra and Taurus, this may lead to being too quick with intimacy. In signs like Capricorn, Aquarius, and Virgo people may not see their unconscious aggressive nature. This may lead to unexpected violent explosions and angry tirades because we are not in touch with our need for freedom and fear of being controlled.
- Mercury in the 12th: These individuals get imprisoned in their own minds and are often stuck in their heads with endless mental machinations. The blind spot is that people may not realize how much they rely on their mind. Often Mercury in the 12th house may be blind and gullible in relationships and maybe too sexually immature and may not be aware of it. This is particularly difficult in Pisces.
- Jupiter in the 12th: Jupiter expands things and expenditures are something that we do not want to expend too much. These individuals may overindulge but not see their spendthrift ways. Sometimes religious fundamentalism takes over their lives but they do not see it and they may be oblivious to their friends and colleagues as to how much of a religious fanatic they are.
- Venus in the 12th: It is thought that Venus is the only planet that does well in the 12th house and this may be true if there is some dignity. Still, there is a tendency to be over-indulgent in finances and sexual activity. This may lead to difficult sexual entanglements and of being morally unconstrained by pleasure, unaware of the consequences. Huge debt can accumulate because Venus just likes to buy more and does not know when to stop.
- Saturn in the 12th: The planet of service gets over-activated in the house of service. While charity is always a good thing for creating positive future lives, overwork can lead to being blinded, creating a Seva-alcoholic type of martyrdom. Sometimes this may manifest as spending too much, being blind to the material tabernacle and the world of financial reality.
- Rahu in the 12th: Rahu is always a bit of an unethical gangster so Rahu in the 12th may blind one to unscrupulous or unethical behavior. There may be a tendency to be caught up in the illusion of fantasy around ambition and a disconnect from the reality of what is possible. Rahu is often connected to deep psychological grunge and can be too strong in the 12th house leading to addictive patterns when we cannot get a handle on our deep unconscious fears and paranoia.
- Ketu in the 12th: In many ways, Ketu belongs in the 12th house of mystical experience, moksha, and sacrifice, but if afflicted, it may create false holiness and a dark secret side. Sometimes these people are a parasite living off of the goodwill of others and unconscious of the burden they create. They may be unable to connect to the material world and practical reality thinking there is nothing besides meditation. They may often be out of touch with their physical body, which leads to difficulty to diagnose illnesses.
If we can solve the mysteries of the 12th house and our hidden karmas, then deep healing can occur, unlocked talents may be released, and if one has the blessing of a self-realized soul or Guru, enlightenment may dawn. But for most of our lifetimes, the 12th house brings deep suffering and an unconscious dread beneath the surface, which we tend to deal with by checking out. If we are on a spiritual path, we may take shelter in meditation or spiritual retreat – these are holistic ways to transform 12th house challenges but for the mass population, the tendency will be to indulge in addictive behavior.
The secret of the 12th house is service and sacrifice and to be giving to others in need when our own deep psychological and unconscious fears come up. When we get out of our small ego and give to others, then we become bigger and the small self can move to the larger self.
For those with no time, this can be accomplished by giving to charity and people in need – this is one way to get through the difficult karma of the 12th house.
If you like articles like this, pick up our whole book in PDF which has 72 pages on Secrets of the Houses ,and also it is now on Amazon. Whole expanded course on this material live starting Sunday, May 5th on Go to Webinar. Free preview on Saturday, April 6th at 9:30 am. Sign up at:
Please register for Secrets of the Houses–Nuggets to Refine your Understanding on Apr 6, 2019 9:30 AM CDT at: